London Bel Canto Festival
London Bel Canto Festival 2021
La sonnambula (Bellini)
London Bel Canto Festival 2021
La sonnambula (Bellini)
General Information: The London Bel Canto Festival was founded in 2016 as an arts organization in support of the art of bel canto in all its facets. Here in London we have hosted master classes by amazing internationally renowned performers including Bruce Ford, Aprile Millo, Nelly Miricioiu, Maestro David Parry, Ken Querns Langley and others with whom our young artists work personally. Artists are confirmed each year.
This is NOT a pay to sing programme. The fee is to cover the cost of training by the international faculty. Performances are granted based on merit and are at the sole discretion of the jury. Our performances are regularly reviewed by major international publications, are featured in the media, and are attended by agents and opera house representatives. Therefor it is important that you are prepared for this type of exposure. Those who are not prepared for media exposure, are still accepted on the vocal development course but may be offered to perform in less high-profile events.
For 2019 we were proud to present our third festival academy which took place in August 2019 at the Royal Academy of Music in London and was the opportunity for singers and collaborative pianists to spend three weeks with world-renowned artists learning the fundamentals of the art of Bel Canto. In the amazing and vibrant surroundings of central London world-class instructors offer daily private lessons or coaching, performance-focused language repertoire coaching, performance workshops, and so much more. There are public and private master classes with Bruce Ford, Nelly Miricioiu, Ken Querns Langley and others. Performers had the opportunity to perform in concerts as well as in the concert version of Bellini's 'Beatrice di Tenda' with full orchestra!
Singers: Emerging professional singers, young artists, and conservatoire or college-level singers are all welcome to apply.
Programme: Early July - Early August 2021 - 3 week opera performance or vocal development programme plus 1 week for final performances. There are no classes in the fourth week.
Pianists: Pianists are accepted onto the course as part of both the festival and the academy.See the Collaborative Piano Programme here.
Location: Central London
What to Expect:
- Singing Lessons: All students will receive daily singing lessons or coaching by the major teachers Bruce Ford, Ken Querns-Langley and other vocal faculty members. You will be able to sit in on lessons and coaching of other singers with their permission.
- Master Classes: Several public and private master classes will be given by the most celebrated international faculty. Master classes often with both public and private options.
- Repertoire Coaching & Role Prep: Coaching is given equal weight as singing lessons and students receive coaching in their prepared rep and languages. Our coaches have worked in the greatest houses and festivals and with many great artists.
- Seminars: Classes on history, breathing, and vocal hygiene to help round out your understanding of opera.
- Performances: Multiple performances are given throughout the courses including the major opera gala concert, three aria concerts at the private National Liberal Club, as well as other venues around London.
- Practice Rooms: We always makes sure that practice rooms are available during the day.
- Pianist Collaborator: Providing there are sufficient pianists, you will be paired with a pianist with whom you can prepare your performances. It will be up to the both of you, and the faculty, to decide if you would like to perform together or not.
- Wellness: We will also be providing different classes throughout the course on yoga for singers, Alexander technique, mindfulness and breathing.
- Events: Because life isn't only about singing, this year we will have other events like a cooking class & dinner hosted by chefs from a Michelin Star restaurant, an evening cruise along the river Thames, London tours and other opportunities.
- Weekends: Saturdays will typically have a rehearsal and master class, but Sundays are free.
A Typical Day:
- 10:00 - 11:00 Complimentary class: yoga, Alexander tech., breathing, mindfulness.
- 11:00 - 13:00 Singing Lessons, Voice Coaching, Language or Study
- 13:00 - 14:00 Lunch / Study / Tour
- 14:00 - 16:00 Master Class
- 16:00 - 18:00 Singing Lessons, Voice Coaching, Language or Study
- 18:00 - 19:30 Dinner
- 1930: - 21:00 Rehearsal
- 3 Week Tuition: £3,500 plus housing
- Pianists: There is no fee for pianist participation.
- Auditors will be accepted see below.
- If you decide to pay your tuition in full upfront within 10 days of acceptance, there is a 10% discount available.
- A very limited number of partial scholarships will be available for certain voices who take main roles in the first cast of the opera.
Housing: We refer students to the Nido student housing in West Hampstead London. It is a reasonable cost and good location. The cost per night is from £41 (Silver Ensuite) for a single bed room depending on your options. Nido does not do group bookings so students will need to register and pay for their housing themselves. You are however free to find housing wherever you like, and many students in past years have chosen to find an AirBnB or stay in local hostels which are very cheap. Summer reservations are not yet open but you should check back later. If you have trouble registering, they have a convenient chat service and are very helpful. Please contact us with your questions if you have any problems. https://www.nidostudent.com/locations/london/west-hampstead/
Auditing Only: While not technically participating, auditors will be allowed to sit in on lessons, classes, master classes, attend all events and will be eligible for the housing option, but will not be eligible for scholarships.
Fees for auditing only:
- Per Week: £200